Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time ~ Mojo Monday

Good morning, everyone! It's a frosty, clear morning here in Beautiful British Columbia. No fresh snow yet, but the roads are clear and dry...just what we want for travellers at this time of year :) Today's card is for my son's girlfriend. They met at university and have been going together for over a year so I thought I'd make her a card and send her a little gift. I really had fun with this dp :) There are so many colours in it that it was fun to play around with different matte colours. Old olive would've worked well here too, but scarlett jewel won out last night. I also used 2 different border punches for the middle panel...love that look. I also changed my sewing machine thread to white but didn't load the bobbin properly :) It took me 3 tries to get it started!! LOL A litte ribbon, another snowflake embellishment, a couple of gemstones for good measure and there you have a card for your son's girlfriend!
These next pictures are from my classroom. This first one is of the Santa pencils I make for my students each year. It's always so cute to see them use them all at once....it looks like a bunch of dancing Santa's!!

This last picture is of our Graham Cracker gingerbread houses. This is one of the best activities ever!! They ALL just love making their own houses. About 13 years ago, a mom, who was a Brownie leader, gave me the good idea to give each child about a cup of royal icing on a plate to help hold up the houses and then act like snow!! It's worked every year since then, even with Grade oners!! So here's our little gingerbread village :)


I have only a couple of stocking stuffers left to get today and then I'm done. Didn't I already say that? LOL Something always comes up, doesn't it? Have a wonderful day :)


What's in it?
Stamps: Verve Christmas in the Air
Ink: SU choc chip
Paper: PTI aquamist, scarlet jewel, Basicgrey dp, linen white (craft supply)
Accessories: Papercraft and EK success border punches, gemstones, SU felt flurry, Heidi Swapp ghost snowflake, button, linen thread, white grosgrain, stitching

7 comments:

Melisa Hunter said...

Beautiful card Maureen! Love all your touches. It's a great sketch isn't it? Cute snowmen!

Have a fun day!

Kristina said...

I love you mojo card this week! I think you were absolutely right to go with Scarlet Jewel... It adds such a rich touch to the dp.

Those santa toppers are just too cute! I may have to try something like that next year. I usually orders books for my kids through Scholastic Book Orders. I also gave them a pencil. And the gingerbread houses turned out so well! I did those with my third graders my first year of teaching, but we just used regular frosting. Royal icing probably works a million times better!

I think the Basic Grey paper is Eskimo Kisses. Of course, I don't have it in front of me here to check, but I'm fairly sure. I only had a few sheets of it. My local scrapbook store just went out of business and there isn't another one for a good 20 miles. I may have to start ordering all of my paper online to get what I want. Oh, and my hometown is in Northern CA. We're near Mammoth Lakes and Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort. Elevation is 7500-8000 feet. We get LOTS of snow! :)

Marisa said...

Great card, Maureen. I'm sure she will love it :D Great snowflake on on the ribbon and I like the two border punches on the red strip.

Your Santa pencils are fabulous. I have this wonderful mental picture of them all dancing away as the kids use them in class :D

I LOVED going in and helping out with the gingerbread houses when my kids were in the primary years. They used a milk carton as a frame and put the graham crackers around it. And yes, Royal icing is THE best stuff - things get stuck good with it LOL! My favorite part is seeing every child's personality come through in their gingerbread houses. Amazing how different they can all be - kind of like card making...same sketch, many different outcomes :D Wonderful memories for the kids to remember you by :D

Ann said...

Beautiful card, Maureen! I love the snowflake!

Those Santa pencils are SO cute! I love the idea of "dancing Santas"!


Merry Christmas!

Laural-Lee said...

Love it all! Beautiful card...this ones a winner! Love the stitching and the snowflake.

Adorable santas and thanks for sharing the Gingerbread house idea. I'll have to try that with the kids next year.

Aimes said...

Way to rock the Mojo Monday with the most adorable DP ever! Love it!
What a fab teacher you are - I love the idea of bobbling Santa pencils around the classroom! LOL!
Now d'ya think I could get teenage grumpy boys to make a gingerbread house at my school?!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Winter said...

So cute! I love that DP! I had to smile, when I thought of all those dancing santa's! :) Those gingerbread houses turned out great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...