Monday, March 15, 2010

Good Things are Worth the Wait

Well, it's back to work today...so not only are "good things worth the wait," they also "must come to an end." I can't believe I have a card for the new Embellish challenge. I thought the last colours were doozies...but these are crazy...but like a moth to a flame, I'm attracted to the challenge. I was leafing through a scrapbook magazine for inspiration and saw similar colours on several layouts. That's how I got the polka dotted panel on kraft idea. The extra challenge was to use fabric, so I went searching in the bag of scraps my quilting sister gave me and found some great blue cotton. The cream layer is canvas stamped with a blue flourish. The leaves are felt and stitched with linen thread to give them a bit of texture...they seemed pretty plain by themselves. Plus the thread is the colour of kraft :) I love this sentiment...it's like Julee (from Verve) was thinking of me when she designed it. It's very close to the saying we had on our wedding announcement..."the best things in life are worth the wait."

It's not a St. Patrick's Day card, but here's the next fun fact about my favourite day...if you missed yesterday's post, click here :)

The actual color of St. Patrick is blue. Green became associated with St. Patrick's Day during the 19th century. Green, in Irish legends, was worn by fairies and immortals, and also by people to encourage their crops to grow.


I hope you all have a wonderful Monday...at least there is no staff meeting today!! Oh, and 2 days left for my Blog Candy!! :)



What's in it?
Stamps: Verve Big Wish, PTI polkadot basics 2, fancy flourishes
Ink: Versafine onyx, SU night of navy, versamark
Paper: PTI kraft, SU ruby red, designer paper pack
Accessories: circle nestabilities, felt, fabric, canvas, SU linen thread, SU scallop border punch, staples, Basic Grey large brads

9 comments:

Tammy said...

You did a great job with the colour challenge! Great flower! Love that Verve sentiment too!

Aimes said...

Hurray for no staff meeting! LOL! Hey Maureen, sorry I've been 'missing' recently! Just VERY busy!
This card is so sweet! I love not only the layout but your flower is such a sweet embellishment!
Oooh it's nearly the Big Day isn't it! I'll be thinking of you!
Aimes
x

Lynn said...

Love your card...I've been thinking on this challenge for a while!!

Kristina said...

Yeah, that was a doozie of a color combination! So bright! But I love the more muted tones you worked with... And I always love me a polka dotted background. :) I love the stitching you did on the leaves as well. Such a small thing that adds a lot.

I got one day done of parent conferences and one more big day to go (Tuesday). They did give us minimum days all week, but this being our second round of conferences, we only needed to meet with those whom were not meeting standards in some way (or to celebrate those whom have jumped up since the first conferences). I have 12 total. Six are done. 5 tomorrow, and one on Thursday. Phew! I'm always glad when conferences are over. But the good side is that there is no staff meeting this week! Yay!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Maureen, your fabric use is awesome. Thanks so much for taking on an Embellish challenge.

Maile Belles said...

Fabulous fabric flower and card design Maureen! So glad you could join us in the Embellish challenge!

Mariana Grigsby said...

That fabric flower is great! Thanks for playing along with us!

FLEUR de Lo said...

I LOVE the stapled border! It's funny that people aren't loving the colors for this challenge. It's totally my kind of combo. Of course, I'm still working on my card....
:)

Traveling Mama said...

Very cute! Love those polka dots!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...